9/07/2011

DAY 56 SEPT 1 MILLION DOLLAR QUARTET- A WHOLE LOTTA SHAKIN GOIN ON!


For the past couple of years my sister has been telling me to go see the Million Dollar Quartet- as she has seen it 3 times.  Finally, with my pal Diane as my date I went to see it.  And Dawn was right- upbeat and awesome.  The production has been at the Apollo Theater since 2008.  And I can see why!




This smash-hit musical inspired by the famed recording session that brought together rock'n roll icons Elvis Presley, Johnny Cash, Jerry Lee Lewis and Carl Perkins for the first and only time.   On December 4, 1956 these four young musicians gathered at Sun Records in Memphis for what would be one of the greatest jam sessions ever.  MILLION DOLLAR QUARTET  brings that legendary night to life


Remember these hits....BLUE SUEDE SHOES, FEVER, THAT'S ALL RIGHT, SIXTEEN TONS, GREAT BALLS OF FIRE, WALK THE LINE, WHOLE LOTTA SHAKING GOIN ON, WHO DO YOU LOVE? MATCHBOX, FOLSOM PRISON BLUES, HOUND DOG and more.
The cast was electrifying!  What a talented group of youngins.  They mixed and matched their disparate styles and their innate musicality ensured originality.  I can see why Tony awards were awarded.  The show is a combination concert, history lesson and homage to the musicians and their visionary producer Sam Phillips. The real star here is the music and the audience couldn't stop clapping, bobbing their heads and tapping their feet.

 A jukebox musical and if ya haven't seen it -find it, as I am sure it will be traveling all over the country for the next few years.  Johnny Cash was my fav. of course- Nuff said.